Where: Hornsby Aquatic & Leisure Centre, Hornsby
When: Mondays at 5:30pm
What: Pool based physical activity focusing on both aerobic activity & muscle strength through games and activities
Looking for Fitness Programs for Someone with a Disability? Find Disabled Exercise Classes for Adults at Active Ability
In today’s busy world, it can be hard to find the time for exercise – but it’s imperative that we do. Regular exercise is vital for everyone, including people with disabilities. A growing number of people with disabilities are finding ways to stay active, and that’s partly thanks to programs such as Active Ability, where we provide exercise physiology, physiotherapy, and dietetic services to people all over Sydney with long-term health conditions. We believe in the benefits of exercise classes for disabled adults and kids, so we make it easy for everyone to get involved.
Why people need disability fitness programs
It’s important for everyone to maintain their fitness as much as possible. For beginners, starting slowly and gradually building up over time is a safe and healthy way to approach getting into better shape. If you’re living with a disability, there are plenty of ways for you to stay active. Exercise matters because it can:
- Improve your strength, flexibility, and stamina
- Ease depression and anxiety
- Introduce you to new people and new situations
- Help you achieve more independence
- Control inflammation and pain
Starting disabled exercise classes
When beginning any exercise program, it’s important to work with an exercise physiologist to ensure that you’re participating in exercises that can suit your individual needs. You can also let your friends and family know your plans – they might even join you! There are many ways to exercise, but they can be broken down into three main categories:
- Cardiovascular exercise, which improves your heart health, lungs, and blood flow
- Strength training, which can build muscle and make you stronger
- Flexibility & balance training, which helps you become more limber, increase your range of motion and decreases falls risk
Finding the support you need at Active Ability
At Active Ability, we offer disability fitness programs for adults and kids as well as physiotherapy and dietetic services. We are passionate about helping people with long-term health conditions achieve their fitness and health goals through exercise and healthy nutrition. Our exercise physiologists are available to help with a variety of health concerns, including:
- Management of chronic health conditions such as diabetes, osteoporosis, cerebral palsy, and intellectual disability
- Prevention of injury and chronic conditions such as weight problems, high blood pressure, and poor bone health
- Education regarding physical activity and health as well as practical solutions to potential fitness barriers.
We provide a mobile service throughout Sydney because we believe that people learn new habits best in familiar surroundings and are most likely to continue a healthy habit they begin in the environment where they spend most of their time e.g. their home. Our staff is made up of qualified exercise physiologists, physiotherapists, and dietitians who use evidence-based methods to create personalised treatment plans for each client. We have extensive experience working within the disability sector and enjoy watching people gain strength, confidence, and independence through our programs. For more information, don’t hesitate to contact us – we look forward to hearing from you and discussing your needs.